Sunday, August 07, 2005

Last Week

Morning all. Well, Morgan is back in DC after 7 long weeks. I think she grew a foot. She got back on Friday afternoon. Grandmother Fields from Baton Rouge flew in with her and will be visiting for the next week. Morgan is almost done with the new Harry Potter book and says it is great, so there is her review.

I have been pretty busy at work the last couple of weeks. Last Friday (the 29th), I was lead trial counsel in a court-martial. The guy pled guilty to drug use and possession (cocaine). He got 8 months confinement and a bad conduct discharge. Lesson here kids - Don't do drugs.

I was in Baltimore this past week helping another attorney in my office with an EEO trial. An African-American employee is suing the Air Force claiming he has been discriminated against by his African-American supervisor based on the big 3 (race, gender, age). Yes, race was included as a reason for discrimination. Shaking head. Makes sense, huh? Anyway, I was representing the Air Force in the case. Pretty good stuff. I did the crosses on the complainant's witnesses. I had two of three witnesses (both African-American) admit on the stand that the supervisor had never discriminated against them based on race, gender, or age, and that, in fact, the supervisor respected them greatly. Their other witness, on direct, made the ridiculous claim that the entire squadron (one with over 100 people) was racist instead of just the supervisor. My first question on cross was "So you are telling us that the whole squadron is racist against African-Americans?" Of course, when I said "whole squadron" I waved my hands in the air in a big circle. Straight Law and Order I tell you. Her response, "Yep." To which I said, "Even all the African-Americans in the squadron, they are racist too?" Her response, "Well, I didn't really mean racist." She lost all credibility in the span of about 2 nanoseconds. The judge and court reporter were even laughing. So was I.

In a bit of bad news, Karlyle has now learned how to open her bedroom door. So now, instead of her yelling for us when she wakes up in the morning, she comes in our bedroom and pats me on the head and yells "Get up Daddy!" at the top of her lungs. And when I say pat, I mean slap/smack/punch. Good morning to me and Kerrie. Her new favorite phrases are "That is not allowed," "How you do dat?", and "Follow me, you guys, follow me." Good stuff. She also replies to "See you later alligator" with either "I not a alligator, I Karlyle" or "See you later crocodile." She refuses to say "alligator" with "see you later" - it is always "crocodile." The "after while" part is nonexistant. In better news, she can now yell "LSU" and goes running around the house yelling "Touchdown Tigers" or "Geaux Tigers." Such a good influence.

Alright, this is the longest post ever. Be sure to check out the Tiger Oath below and the 2 other posts I did this week. The pudding incident was classic. Have a good Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home